All About Anxiety

All About Anxiety

Every single one of us knows the feeling of fearing the future and dwelling in the past. It’s been the human condition for a long time, and if we don’t keep those thoughts in check they can end up consuming our lives.

Anxiety is defined as “a mental health disorder characterised by feelings of worry or fear that are strong enough to interfere with one’s daily activities.” It’s a spectrum – anxiety ranges from a diagnosable disorder to an occasional affliction. No matter how it manifests, there’s not a single person who hasn’t experienced it to some degree.

Anxiety is particularly common in our 20s. It’s a time of transformation and uncertainty, where we move from a comfortable structure that’s been set out for us our whole lives into the vast and unfamiliar territory of adulthood. We now have to create our own structure and forge our life paths, which can be a lot of pressure. This constant fear of the future and feeling of worry around where we’ll end up and what’s wrong in our lives can persist for a long while and is often hard to deal with.

Our culture pushes a narrative of onwards and upwards. It’s easy to feel like we’re only valuable if we’re the perfect girlboss, succeeding in our careers as well as having a full social calendar all the time. This pressure, which is exacerbated by social media, can leave us with no time for self care and can even affect our sleeping patterns. This will inevitably result in an anxious disposition.

Taking time for yourself as well as getting a solid 7-9 hours of sleep per night is essential in managing anxiety. You need to take a moment to step away from your obsessive thoughts or it may get to a point that they will consume you. When we constantly focus on what has or will go wrong, there’s no time to appreciate the beauty of the present!

We live in an era where it’s hard to escape the pressure to be “perfect”, and one where we’re encouraged not to display our anxieties and emotions for fear of not seeming “put together”. Advertising convinces us that we need to buy some or other product to get to where we want to be, and social media tells us that we’re not good enough if we’re not looking like and living that life of edited Instagram models. Whether you’re concerned about your career, your social life, hitting milestones by a certain age or your self image, know that it’s all perfectly normal. You’re not alone in your anxieties, and you shouldn’t be afraid to express them! Bottling it all up will only serve to make it worse.

You are incredible and you’re exactly where you should be right now. If you feel that anxiety is taking over your life, talk to your doctor to see what options you have.

For more mental health resources visit https://www.opencounseling.com/hotlines-za.

rubies let us know in the comments below if any of you have been struggling with anxiety? We are all in this together!

rubybox HQ

X

56 thoughts on “All About Anxiety

1. Morongoa Modise says:

It is more of a mental health problem than most people care to know, I like what you said about OBSSESIVE THOUGHTS ,negative more of, I have personally carried my anxiety well into my adulthood without even speaking out about it, until i started to read more about it and came to understanding that it is normal to worry and feel sad and that it is okay to fail and try again without fear gripping you and making you feel miserable, #iamexactlywhereineeddtobe
    #thankyourubybox

2. Nicole Madatt says:

I suffer from Anxiety and bipolar depression. I am a full time student and i have a full time job and the only one working and taking care of everything and everyone. Some days it’s so hard just to get out of bed. I am now on medication for it and no one knows that i suffer from this. It is so hard for a young Lady like myself to manage with all the things that are being put on my plate. Seeking professional help is nothing to be scared or ashamed about, you need to do what you have to in order to take care of yourself. Every morning i say a few affirmations just to remind myself that i am worthy and unique. I make it my mission to listen to anyone that needs someone to vent to i try to be there for people so that they don’t have to go through what i go through. Always be of help to someone in need even if it’s just by listening to them.

3. Nondumiso Gumede says:

Currently going through anxiety on whats happening to our country, as much as it is hard to sleep but my body really need to relax and get 7-9 hour sleep to function. Thankx for this amazing article #

4. Kelumetse Matsoele says:

My anxiety has peaked badly lately. I even wake up in the middle of the night, I haven’t slept properly in like a week. What’s been happening in the country made things even worse.

5. Jesse Pillay says:

Thank you for this amazing article, it’s so nice to know that we are not alone. I suffer with anxiety which leads to panic attacks during the night. I want to say thanks for the tips and links for help. I have also tried a lavender or cbd pulse point roller which eases and calms me down.

6. sisonkesmangele says:

Currently struggling with anxiety and depression, you know some day you feel like you on top of the world and some days feel like hell .it comes in waves and cycles,.my advise would be to everyone currently suffering from this disease be patient with yourself i have faith that ill get better someday so should you

7. dezgskm says:

Wow very insightful indeed….. We have all gone through this stage one point or another, all I am hoping for is that everyone realises they are not alone in this.

8. Parbie says:

It’s also really important to practice positive affirmations every morning. I am a mother of two and my youngest is a year and she still breastfeeds so I don’t get 8 hours of sleep which is a huge challenge but I find that speaking positively to myself such as in affirmations helps deal with my anxiety a lot.
    A positive mind is a powerful tool.