Taking an ice-cold shower has become quite a popular trend over the past months with countless celebs and wellness enthusiasts having done it to kickstart their day. These ice-cold baths, showers or dips in the ocean is part of the Wim Hof Method.
What is that you may ask – well this method claims that the cold water rush you experience in the mornings can be beneficial to both your body and mind.
We break down all the facts about this Win Hof Method and why it’s so good for you.
First things first – ease in to it. There is no need to dive right in and have 30-minute-long freezing cold bath or shower. Gradually build up the duration and intensity of your cold bath or shower. This way your body will be able to tolerate the cold more and more.
There are benefits to these cold showers – one being they help reduce stress levels, give you a higher level of alertness, a more robust immune response and an increase in your own will power (you’ll need it trust me).
Health Benefits include…
- They help boost energy in the mornings – some even reported cold showers had similar effects to drinking caffeine in the morning. (trying to quick drinking too much caffeine – here is your window of opportunity)
- Showering in cold water makes your hair shinier and less frizzy. How – it closes the cuticle helping your hair stay and feel healthier. A tip for those ladies that struggle with thin hair rather skip the cold rinse as cold water tends to reduce the volume of your hair.
- Struggling with certain skin conditions like eczema – cold showers will help keep that itch at bay.
- Feeling anxious? Cold showers help activate the sympathetic nervous system and increase endorphins. Say hello to a happier, less anxious you!
- Cold water also helps in aid in muscle recovery and reduce inflammation. The cold water makes blood vessels contract and numbs nerve endings – preventing swelling, bruising and pain.
- We are all about stimulating blood flow to boost circulation. Diet and exercise do help with that but cold showers force the heart to pump more efficiently. Improved circulation helps with better heart health, mental performance, immune system and metabolism. Yay for cold water!
rubies if you loved this article and you are looking for something similar, click here
Let us know in the comments be if any of you will be giving this a try. For those of you in Cape Town it’s the perfect opportunity to take advantage of those early morning beach dips before work.