During lockdown a lot of us have decided to take this time to better our mental and physical health. We have all heard in some way or another that eating plant based meals are very good for us and serves many health benefits – but where does one start? Eatingwell has gathered 9 tips for starting a vegan diet so it seems a bit less daunting to start:
- Make veggies the star of your meals – veggies are jam packed with vitamins, minerals and fibre that is amazing for your immune and digestive system! The high fibre content is what keeps you full for longer.
- Eat a variety of foods. Keep your meals balanced, to make sure you get enough healthy fats, protein, fibre, minerals and vitamins.
- Rather have whole grain! Swap your white pasta, bread and rice for whole grain pasta, brown bread or quinoa to keep you fuller for longer.
- Discover new plant-based proteins. Yes, there are loads of protein options for a plant-based diet! Eatingwell suggests vegan sources for you try, like “tofu, tempeh, edamame (soybeans), lentils, chickpeas and beans. Nuts, like almonds and walnuts, and seeds, like sunflower and pumpkin seeds, also deliver protein.”
- Don’t assume that vegan food are healthier. Some vegan foods are high in saturated-fat-laden palm oil and coconut oil, which in the long run you shouldn’t have too much of. Keep your diet clean, wholesome and nutritious.
- Make sure you are getting enough Omega-3s! Fish like, salmon contain loads of Omega-3 fatty acids -Eatingwell suggest that vegan sources of Omega-3’s can be found in “flaxseed, walnuts, canola oil and soy.”
- Make sure to get enough Vitamin D – it is important to get this from orange juice or nondairy milks like soy or almond milk. To make sure you intake the suggested amount of Vitamin D a day you can also take a supplement.
- Iron is a very important nutrient to intake enough of daily. Iron from plant-based food are not as easily absorbed as meat sources. Eatingwell suggests to “eat iron-rich foods with vitamin-C rich foods” – this will help with absorption.
- Vitamin B12 is a very important vitamin for brain function and for overall good health. This is also a vitamin that is suggested to take in via supplement, just to make sure you are getting enough of it daily!
To find out more about vegan diets and find delicious recipes to make, visit Eatingwell.com
We have a delicious vegan brownie recipe for you to try! Click here to view:Vegan brownie recipe
(Source: 9 Healthy Tips to Help You Start Eating a Vegan Diet from Eatingwell.com)
Have you tried any new diets since lockdown started? Any vegan rubies? Share some of your fav recipes in the comments! x