How Exercise Can Help Manage Anxiety

The last thing you probably feel like doing when suffering from anxiety is working out, but you will be surprised at how much it will help you calm down.

It has been scientifically proven that physical exercise uses up excess adrenaline in people who experience anxiety this in turn reduces anxious thoughts.

Exercise is also known to alter the activity of certain chemicals in the brain. So how exactly should you use exercise to calm you down? Follow the tips below for exercising with anxiety:

Tailor your training time to you: Take a look around to find what works for you best whether that be a Zumba class or a road run. As some will get a high from a social rub in a group or attending a class, while for others that high might come from solitary time swimming laps.

Exercise intensity is individual: You may find that a high intensity spinning session acts as a huge mood booster, but there is also a huge appreciation for low intensity workouts such as Yoga and Pilates which will add in mindfulness helping to settle your anxiety.

Baby steps: Baby steps are the best. Diving head first into a high intensity routine may not be your best bet when it comes to sustaining your exercise routine. Not only do you run the risk of injury and fatigue but you could be striving for overly ambitious goals which could possibly lead to disappointment.

Know your food: At the end of the day it all comes down to balance and more balance when it comes down to nutrition and your nerves. It is very important that if you suffer from anxiety you need to have a healthy diet and eat regularly.

If you are an anxious person try cut down on the caffeine, skipping meals and glugging coffee will set your nerves right on edge and without a doubt will worsen your panic attacks and anxiety. Therefore by all means have the odd treat, but as a general rule, remember to stick to good quality protein, fruit and veg.

Making sure you are as fit and healthy as possible will not only leave your feeling mentally energised but will do your physical body the world of good.

Let us know your tips on tackling anxiety n the comments below rubies.

rubybox HQ

X

396 thoughts on “How Exercise Can Help Manage Anxiety

1. Amouré Patrick says:

Thank you for a very insightful article, exercise it the best way to get rid of stress or anxiety. we have to look after our bodies, we only have one, be kind to it 🙂

• Farai Mvere says:

Thank you for this article. I started working out when the pandemic hit and it has lifted my anxiety alot. Exercising not only helped me physically but it also helped me mentally. The planning my day’s workout process gives me something to focus on and less time for all the uncertainty that came with Covid to sink in. I say yes to exercising 💯.

2. Alecia November says:

shoo this was a rude awaking for myself. I am one of those people that live off coffee at work that don’t take a lunch break and I most definitely need to change my eating habits and start excerising

• nomthandazo says:

This article is so helpful and exercising helps getting your heart rate up,it changes brain chemistry, increasing the availability of important anti-anxiety neurochemicals, brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), and endocannabinoids.
      Exercise activates frontal regions of the brain responsible for executive function, which helps control the amygdala, our reacting system to real or imagined threats to our survival.
      Exercising regularly builds up resources that bolster resilience against stormy emotions.

• wgdarwins6 says:

Exercising helped me a lot when I was battling with cancer, before chemotherapy. I would put on beginners exercise videos from YouTube, on the TV and for a moment everything felt normal in my life. I even got my mom and brother to join me.

3. zairah cassim says:

In our busy days we need to find time to exercise, most people don’t exercise and thus result them being tired, burnt out as we too focused on work instead of burning energy in the gym or home workout, I enjoy reading the articles that rubybox post, it’s truly inspiring and a person can just take in and make it to use in one’s life

4. Hayley Kirton says:

Love this article so much! Honestly exercise is the only thing that helps my mental health. It is so important. Also journaling & meditation can make a big difference too 🥰

• tsoenepj says:

Ooh my, this is so helpful. I thought I was doing everything right until I read this, I am working out on a daily basis, but I drink lot of coffee witch makes me feel full the whole time and end up not eating, but when I do eat I try to eat healthy, I just wasn’t aware that lot of caffeine can ruin my hard work,, thank you so much.

• wendymanwatha says:

The article so helpful as a paraplegic women on wheelchair ♿ is very important to do regular exercise in order to manage the blood flow ,as most rjne one is seated on chair , I do my dancing on my wheelchair mostly wirh my tick tok songs challenge it helpes me a lot to shaoen my body and every morning I strench my legs it really works for me I feel light and it keeps me going forms heath body wise

5. Shannon-lee Seymour says:

I have a very busy schedule during the week with my working, the anxiety it causes to meet my deadlines is sometimes overwhelming but doing Zumba for that 1 hour after work puts my mind,body and soul ar ease, it reduces so much of my stress, coz I get to dance and have fun while working out. I have done many changes to my diet, and reading up on articles just to calm myself when I’m over thinking or stressed.

6. Julie-Anne Thomas says:

I completely agree with this comment especially if you work from home it can be exceptionally stressful taking a run or even a walk in the afternoons is really important, exercise works

7. Anelisa Gumenge says:

I suffer from anxiety and it has been crippling lately. Im so glad I got to see this article as I felt like I was drowning and all alone. Im thankful for the ‘baby steps’ paragraph as that it all it takes to remove myself from the way I feel. I will implement this into my daily routine as I havent left the house in about 7 days and working from home doesnt help me with that at all! I thank you for this article and I hope other people are inspired as I am.

8. Allison Gous says:

I needed this. Thank you Rubybox. I’ve been really struggling and expecting it to get worse with the rush at work and the holidays coming up.